To date, the Safety Committee has met five times to discuss and prioritize a list of preventive and responsive safety measures they would like to see the district improve upon or add to its policies and procedures. They have also created a list of additional preventive and responsive safety measures for the students, parents and community to consider implementing in the future.
Examples of current or additional safety measures that require minimum resources to implement include:
- Implementation of the Standard Response Protocol in response to a crisis event on campus including weather, fire, accidents, intruders and other threats to students and staff safety
- Increased local law enforcement presence in and around campuses
- Trauma training for all FISD staff and Trauma Kits placed in over thirty locations district wide at all AED (automated external defibrillator) locations
Examples of additional safety measures that will require more substantial resources include:
- Upgrade camera and surveillance systems to better monitor campus facilities
- Implementation of a gunshot detection system that notifies law enforcement immediately if shots are fired on campus
- School safety plans and preparedness application (NaviGate Prepared System) that coordinates and manages district personnel and first responder's during a crisis event
Improving school safety for our students and staff will continue to be a priority for FISD. As we move forward, the safety committee will continue to update our community on how these additional safety measures are progressing. If you have any questions, please contact Ken Reinhardt, the Safety Committee chair, at 979-828-7100.